Visual Studio 2012 and TFS 2012 Official Release Timeframe Announced

Jason Zander, the Corporate Vice President for Visual Studio, has tweeted that the Visual Studio 2012 will release to manufacturing (RTM) in early August which is the same time that Windows 8 will RTM as announced at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner’s Conference.

image

The Visual Studio 2012 release includes all of the individual components of the Visual Studio family including:

• .NET 4.5
  • Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, Premium, Test Professional, and Professional
  • Team Foundation Server 2012
  • Microsoft Test Manager 2012
  • Lab Management components of Visual Studio, Microsoft Test Manager, and TFS
  • Feedback Client
  • Visual Studio Agents

It’s just around the corner now!  If you haven’t had a chance to Go-Live on the 2012 release, then start making plans to get upgraded at RTM!  Remember, if you don’t feel like setting up TFS 2012 internally, you can always use the Microsoft hosted version of TFS available at:  http://www.tfspreview.com/.

Ed Blankenship

Wednesday, 11 July 2012 05:56:35 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Do you know if the TFS 2012 assemblies can be used by Metro apps? The 2010 ones don't, since they rely on the full .NET Framework.
Neil
Wednesday, 11 July 2012 06:01:08 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi Neil,

I don't believe there has been any changes in the TFS 2012 SDK assemblies. They are compiled against the full .NET Framework.

Ed B.
Wednesday, 11 July 2012 07:00:17 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Thanks for your reply, that's a shame. (Also, I'm really looking forward to your 2012 edition of the Pro TFS Book!)
Neil
Wednesday, 11 July 2012 18:10:34 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Can you please tell me what are the changes and features added in testing of visual studio 2012
Wednesday, 11 July 2012 18:23:27 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi Karthik!

I'm not sure that I have full list since there were so many new Testing features but I would start in the following places:

Ed B.
Monday, 23 July 2012 02:45:52 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
hi ed,

Can we use TFS api's for developing Metro apps.

I'm facing while using TFS dlls
harsha
Monday, 23 July 2012 03:06:27 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi Harsha!

Metro Windows 8 applications can use assemblies that are compiled against the WinRT framework. The TFS APIs are only compiled against the .NET Framework so would not be available to be used from a Metro-based Windows 8 application.

I think eventually there will need to be some type of REST-based APIs made available to support these scenarios. You can always create an intermediate service in the meantime that you can host that would call the TFS APIs directly and then your Windows 8 app could call your service.
Tuesday, 24 July 2012 03:05:49 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info :)

Thought of implementing two ways for accessing TFS.

1.As you said above creating a immediate web service and adding the service reference to the Metro Application

2.Use TFPT.exe command line tool

But there again seems a issue , Unable to launch a .exe file from metro application.
harsha
Sunday, 12 August 2012 22:31:01 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)

How would you do that? WinRT applications aren't allowed to use IPC to talk to desktop services/applications. The only way I can see that being allowed is if you use network communications to a service on a completely separate machine.
Tim
Monday, 13 August 2012 14:07:56 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi Tim,

By "service" in my comment about, I meant more of service layer architecture where you having Web Services or WCF Services that receive the calls from your Windows 8 applications and then call Team Foundation Server appropriately. I wasn't meaning a service layer that runs on the client machine.

Thanks!
Monday, 27 August 2012 23:59:16 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I’m planning to start running a blog. I have heard that the blog platforms matters a great deal. I actually love just how your website is visually and all the features it has. Can you please share with me which blog platform you are using…. mole removal at home
kelley cutone
Name
E-mail
(will show your gravatar icon)
Home page

Comment (Some html is allowed: a@href@title, b, blockquote@cite, em, i, strike, strong, sub, sup, u) where the @ means "attribute." For example, you can use <a href="" title=""> or <blockquote cite="Scott">.

[Captcha]Enter the code shown (prevents robots):

Live Comment Preview